Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] RFC - Standard Thru-Hull Electrical Connector

With regard to the proposal, if this is indeed intended to be a standard connection for communications devices, I suggest that it is not sufficient to describe a physical connection without also describing a proposed standard pin assignment and operating voltage. Your proposal makes specific reference to diver units made by OTS and Divelink, indicating that these units operate in a two-wire mode. Two-wire (push to talk, or PTT) units are common in low-cost devices, but most commercial diver communications setups are four-wire (round-robin, or open-circuit), both for reasons of improved safety, hands-free operation, and natural communication flow without necessitating radio protocol interjections in the conversation. The proposed application combining comms and hydrophone is functionally identical to implementing communications in the four-wire mode - namely, a transmit circuit (hardwire umbilical to diver earphones, ultrasonic transducer for diver or sub-to-sub wireless, submersible speaker, etc.), and a receive circuit (hardwire umbilical from diver microphone, ultrasonic receiver for diver or sub mounted transmitter, hydrophone, etc.)

As such, any proposed standard should accommodate both two-wire and four-wire communications implementations, but should standardize the pin assignments explicitly for that purpose. Additionally, where you propose that the standard connector be implemented for communications in two-wire mode, thus making available the other two pins for auxiliary devices, my immediate reaction is that this practice should be avoided, if for no other reason than it then becomes a standard which isn't. More pragmatically, you must ensure that any voltage or current present at these auxiliary pins remains compatible with any possible four-wire system which may be connected to it (in keeping with the spirit of the standard design), even if the operative equipment within the sub is PTT.

This raises the question of whether we should standardize on four-wire open communications systems (or four-wire implementation, even if the operating equipment is PTT), since this avoids entirely the possibility of lost communication due to transmit/receive timing - not a huge issue with a single communicating party familiar with radio procedure, but arguably necessary in the presence of multiple parties communicating on the same frequency. In the case of through-water comms (ultrasonic), this theoretically opens the door to a natural conversational environment between several submerged subs, which I hazard a guess would appeal to many in the community.

-Sean