[PSUBS-MAILIST] Battery voltage

I have a question for the group, Batteries, my voltage requirements are 36 volt is it better to go to higher voltage say 10 195 ah  12 volt batteries for 120 v and use step down transformers to get my 36v or is it better just to group the batteries together and keep to 36v, my thoughts where if I used the higher voltage and had a cell failure I would still be able to obtain my 36 v to my motors, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Brian V. Ryder