RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Working subs

Frank, good question and I have enjoyed hearing everyone’s answers and thought process.  Below is a section out of my Submersible Design Concept document.  This was the first thing I did. Like a mock up I found it to be a great tool that really helped me solidify my vision (best I could).  My design process has remained fairly consistent to the project I envisioned when I wrote the paper.

Role Definition-

·         Primary Mission Description:

The primary mission of this psub is to provide a safe recreational viewing platform for private use by the designer in the desired area of operations for the pilot and one passenger.  The design shall prioritize safety and visibility allowing operations in relatively shallow fresh and salt-water environments.

·         Desired Area(s) of Operations:

o       The desired areas of operation include the Great Lakes (North America), U.S. Continental Shelf, Caribbean Sea and the Mediterranean Sea

·         Must Have Requirement(s)

o       Maximum Operational Depth of 800 feet of sea water (fsw)

o       Large View port(s)

o       Portability

§         Capable of trailer towing.

§         Capable of fitting within a 20ft shipping container.

·         19’4” L x 7’6” W x 7’8” H w/ 48,000lb maximum payload

Steve McQueen

Indianapolis, IN