RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Ribs

Thanks Frank,  yes I will be using the A516 - 70.  My hull thickness is going to be 3/8" thick, but I think the ribs will just be 1/4" thick.

Brian
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org [mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org]On Behalf Of ShellyDalg@aol.com
Sent: Friday, November 13, 2009 11:01 PM
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Ribs

Hi Brian. If you're making "T" ribs for a tube, it should be fairly easy to make a bench-top jig and the 1/4" "T" part can be bent by hand and clamped in place using vise grips or "C" clamps.
Make sure you bevel the web portion to get a 100% weld. Use lots of small "tacks" when bending.
Remember that the ribs will distort a little when you weld them so a little trimming is required with a small grinder to maintain a good fit-up.
Are you using the AS516-GR70 steel ? It's been cold here lately and you should pre-heat the steel before welding it.
I have a propane heat torch I bought for about $100 and use it for pre-heating steel. It's the kind roofers use for laying comp roofs. It works good for melting lead too. ( Wear a respirator )
Frank D.