RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] guide to hydrophone construction

Was it this book you were referring to, David?

"Submarine Sonar Operator's Manual"
Navpers 16167, The Submarine School
http://www.maritime.org/fleetsub/sonar/index.htm

Just in case you have not looked into the next one, then please do:

"Naval Sonar, NAVPERS 10884",

Although, this one is not really part of the "fleetsub" series since it
was created a few years after WW II (1953); but it incorporates the major
innovations of WW II. It actually describes the peak of WW II US sonar
technology with a hint of the coming Cold War technology.
http://www.hnsa.org/doc/sonar/index.htm

And to answer the mysterious "abyssalobsession", here is a book written by
an austrian engineer who worked as a consultant for the Austrian
Kriegsmarine...

Unterwasserschalltechnik, Grundlagen, Ziele und Grenzen
(Submarine Akustik in Theorie und Praxis)
by Franz Aigner
M. Krayn, Technischer Verlag, Berlin  1922 (322 pages)

The part in this book that I have studied so far has to do with "binaural
listening", a 'technique' that I would like to see being combined with
David's hydrophones. At the time these early, carbon microphone based
systems could fix bearings that came within a 5-7 degree accuracy.

This is all WWI technology, but I don't think it should be left untried.
Such a system uses 2 hydrophones, one one the port side and the other to
starboard.

Here are two images from the book, showing the mechanical, acoustic beam
former (compensator).

ftp://ftp.artematrix.org/sonar/binaural-listening/binaurale-hochanlage.jpg
ftp://ftp.artematrix.org/sonar/binaural-listening/stereoskopisch.jpg

A slightly improved system (used by the allied as well) had an extra
hydrophone oriented forward (forming a equal sided triangle).

But hey, you can read some more about this in the following book:

"Seek & Strike, Sonar, Anti-Submarine Warfare and the Royal Navy 1914-1954"
by Willem D. Hackmann,
Her Majesty's Stationary Office, London 1984 (487 pages)

Actually, from this book I've made some preliminary sketches on how to
build a working replica of the binaural-compensator built for the US Navy
during the early days of underwater listening. See this image:

ftp://ftp.artematrix.org/sonar/binaural-listening/binaural-compensator_USNavy.jpg

You could also read a transcription I did during my research (covering
binaural listening) from J.W. Horton's great book from 1959, called
"Fundamentals of Sonar" here:

ftp://ftp.artematrix.org/sonar/binaural-listening/binaural-listening_Horton.txt

See also these scanned images that is from the same chapter as the
transcription:

ftp://ftp.artematrix.org/sonar/binaural-listening/Fig_7B-1.jpg
ftp://ftp.artematrix.org/sonar/binaural-listening/Fig_7B-2.jpg
ftp://ftp.artematrix.org/sonar/binaural-listening/Fig_7B-3.jpg

By the way, two copies of Horton's book is available for sale on amazon,
right now, see

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000ZFRA0I/ref=sr_1_olp_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1258078095&sr=1-1

Just a few more recommendations, and then I'm through.

The next two books are among my absolute favorite one. Both are excellent
reference books covering a lot of knowledge related to acoustics (and even
underwater sound and hydrophones). A real must (do I sound like a book
seller?).

#1:

"A Textbook of Sound" by Albert Beaumont Wood (3. edition)
G. Bell and Sons Ltd., London  1960 (610 pages)

-- 'Being an account of the Physics of Vibrations with special reference
to recent theoretical and technical developments.
Dr. Wood (1890-1964) was a British physicist, known for his pioneering
work in the field of underwater acoustics and sonar'. --

#2:

"Fundamentals of Acoustics" by Lawrence E. Kinsler & Austin R. Frey (2.
edition)
John Wiley & Sons, Inc.  1962 (524 pages)

-- 'Presenting the fundamental principles underlying the generation,
transmission, and reception of acoustic waves'. --

If there should be a #3 it must be this one:

"Ultrasonics" by Carlin, Benson (2. edition)
McGraw-Hill Book Company, Inc. 1960 (309 pages)

Yes, this last one is primarily written for the NDT people, but it
contains a lot of educational  material (easy to understand) on every
important engineering phase - from the design consideration of ultrasonic
crystals to the experimental measurement of ultrasonic waves (including
data on instruments and applications).

Finally, here is two real in-depth transducer and hydrophone design books
that I recently bought. Mind you, though: I'm still in that optimistic
pre-phase where I just browse anxiously through them from time to time.

I definitely need to catch up a lot more on general physics and math
before I really know how to use and apply all the ( promising? :)theory
covered within both texts.

Although, the first is not really that bad...

#1:
"Introduction to Theory and Design of Sonar Transducers"
by Oscar Bryan Wilson,
Peninsula Publishing  1988 (191 pages)

-- 'The author walks through a 5-kHz transducer design, starting with both
electrical and mechanical requirements, and describes the trade-off
analysis. He finishes by detailing one practical design that meets the
objectives and outlines procedures for design adjustments'. --

#2:
"Transducers and Arrays for Underwater Sound"
by Charles H. Sherman & John L. Butler,
Springer  2007  (612 pages)

-- 'It presents the basic acoustic concepts and models needed in
transducer and transducer array development, and discusses most currently
used transducer designs. It analyzes nonlinear effects and describes
methods of transducer evaluation and measurement.
A complete set of exercises and solutions from the book are currently
available on the Springer website'. --

I hope someone will find my recommendations useful, otherwise - well,
maybe it could be a thing for the records.

Speaking about the records, Jon. Here is something I once downloaded, but
forgot all about when we were discussing submarine communication,
emergency pingers, and what not.

It's a study, supported by the U.S. Coast Guard :

"Present and Future Civil Uses of Underwater Sound"
by the Committee on Underwater Telecommunication,
National Research Council,
National Academy of Sciences, Washington, D.C.  1970  (131 pages)

Best regards,
Jens Laland