Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Newest sub - first dive

There's a fair bit of work involved in modifying a vehicle to ford that much
water - it's not just a matter of running a snorkel to the air intake.
Everything needs to be sealed - oil and transmission dipsticks, filler caps,
air handling etc., plus the differential case, transfer case, etc. need to be
vented by running a line up to a position above the waterline.  Bearings and
other sealed spaces must be pressure compensated (or seals audited and re-
spec'd as necessary) to avoid contamination.  The engine has to be diesel -
gasoline engines can't handle the backpressure, and are susceptible to
ignition failures.  Cooling fan must be disabled - if belt-driven, replaced by
an electric fan which can be switched off prior to water entry.  All of the
electrical systems must be sealed, etc.  A lot of effort, but perhaps
worthwhile if it meant being able to traverse a "shortcut" to avoid traffic and
save time on your daily commute.

I have often wondered how much effort would be involved in making a truck
amphibious - no messy engine work - just add a displacement hull and some type
of axle seal configuration.

-Sean