Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Thruster Design

In a message dated 10/30/2009 7:48:50 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, cliffordredus@sbcglobal.net writes:
Minn Kotta 101 motor with Wagenigen ducted propeller KA series 19A.  This would give a good low cost ducted thruster a psubber could fabricate.

Cliff
Hi Cliff. I had a chance to read this paper over and it has a lot of good info in there.
I think it would be fairly easy to fabricate a Kort nozzle from fiberglass.
Some initial thoughts are.....using a base ring of thin stainless sheet metal, build up the layers of glass using a template to determine uniformity and compliance with the chosen profile. Once the general shape has been made, sand smooth to refine the shape, matching the template exactly.
Gel coat the finished nozzle and add the support rods which will attach it to the motor. Make the rods ends threaded so a nut can be installed over the end after it passes through the fiberglass/metal nozzle.
This would make a rust free component and the fiberglass is plenty strong enough. The labor is a bit but the material cost is minimal.
A matching propeller is needed to size the nozzle for the particular motor. I have the standard Minnkota weed wedge props now but would like to replace them later with something using a Kort nozzle and 3 or 4 bladed prop.
I have prop guard rings on the two rear thrusters now.
 I know there's a whole science behind prop design and I haven't spent any time studying what it takes to get a prop that matches the Minnkotas.
Thanks for this excellent link. I printed it to save.
Frank D.