From: bottomgun@mindspring.com
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] retractable buoy
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 19:13:46 -0400

Frank,

Hard wired systems have been used in the past by big subs since a large buoy is necessary to support the weight of the wire cable and telephone cable that attaches the buoy to the sub.  Historical review of this system shows that if the buoy makes it to the surface and is found, it either doesn’t work or the cable is soon snapped due to a variety of reasons.

My suggestion for the best, economical solution would be to use a thin Spectra line to the surface (VERY strong, floats, and doesn’t lose strength when wet like other aramid fibers).  The surface float would contain one of the larger 406 MHz EPIRBs with a built-in GPS and is activated when turned right-side up.  Since you were a good mariner and registered your EPIRB, the Air Force’s  Rescue and Coordination Center will receive your distress signal within a few minutes of the EPIRB being activated, isolate your location within a few hundred feet, and identify the distress alert as a submersible (from your registration).  They will notify at least the Navy (as they are the primary rescue service for stranded submersibles) and maybe the Coast Guard.  If you have chosen your UQC operational frequency carefully so that it will operate on one of the Navy’s frequencies used for submarine rescue, you will be able to communicate your situation.  Only larger USCG vessels may have a UQC capability.  A pinger on the hull will assist location efforts if the EPIRB buoy becomes separated from the sub (the Coast Guard has sophisticated programs to estimate drift for locating the original position of the buoy).

As I have explained before, basic oceanography and physics principals are against David’s design.  While he has had some success under ideal conditions, either deeper water or saltwater will degrade the intelligibility of attempted communications.  Anyone working with underwater sound (and especially a SONAR Tech.) will understand the SONAR equation that governs the transmission of sound underwater.  Usually when a submarine disaster occurs, water conditions are not the best and if the sub is located, there will probably be more than one vessel operating in the area further complicating the acoustic spectrum in the range of the human ear.  The ultrasonic single-sideband UQC communication units are designed not only for range but to communicate under adverse sea conditions.  As I have said before, an MIT student in the late 70s built units similar to David’s units but of more robust components and with much more power (200 to 500 watts) and determined that this method was not feasible for consistent communications (let alone where your life may depend on the equipment).  To test David’s com units properly and objectively, in water acoustic sound strength meters are necessary as well as a means to look at the frequency response out of the receiver.  I do not denigrate the hard work, effort, and money that David has put into this effort…he has already been recognized for his extreme effort via a PSUB award but first principals should always be understood when entering an effort of this nature.  While it appears very simple, in reality, it is rather complicated to have a successful product.  As PSUBbers, we need to understand the limitations of a piece of equipment that appears to work but in time of dire need, it can not only let us down but may put our loved ones at risk if they are riding the sub with us.

R/Jay