Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] retractable buoy

In a message dated 10/29/2009 12:30:44 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, jonw@psubs.org writes:
What kind and how long
> would work.
Hi Jon. Yes, no doubt David's system is inadequate to meet all the needs of the subbers in it's present form. Phil's system is obviously very good as witnessed by us all.
My question (copied above) was how could a "hard wire" system be set up to communicate with a sub that is maybe stuck and was able to release a buoy to the surface.
David's system will get some good testing next year as a means to talk between subs, most likely ones that are pretty close to each other, or to someone on the barge, again close by.
I was wondering if a long wire could ( 1000 ft.? ) be placed in a pool and get a voice transmission through it.
If ( and that's a big "if") it was possible to get a voice signal through on a relatively small wire, it could be used as an added safety device for emergencies.
We've talked extensively on escaping from a sub and it never sounded like much fun. If a sub is very deep and divers can't get there, it would help if we could at least talk to the trapped guys and maybe figure out a way to get them up. If good "hard wire" and "real time" comms were on hand, it could be possible for the trapped guys to guide a hook within reach or maybe some other type of help.
A wire system wouldn't be any good for just having a "chat" but in an emergency may be of some use.
P.S.   Send me an off-line note so I can ask you a question.
Frank D.