Sent: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 6:44 PM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Git Kraken

Hi, Frank - there may be a way out of this.

Depending how important the planing aspect of your sub is, it may be possible to use some galvanised or Al2 sheet to construct a "bra" or sled for your sub.  Fairly inexpensive but you'd have to figure a way to operate your attachment point(s) from inside the sub.

You'd be able to generate the lift from variable tanks in the sled, added length, and proper planing hull configuration.  In essence, you're putting your sub onto a sled that will be towed.  Your sub, while moving, wouldn't even be in the water.  The stern doesn't even have to have a transom on it, similar to some racing sailboats.  You don't even need static lift in the stern.  Once you're dead in the water, the stern would simply sink once the tanks were emptied.

A seaway would prevent challenges, as usual.

Rick