RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] sonar research progress report.

Jens,

   One of the primary reasons for having researched this hydrophone and developing our ability to listen to underwater sound is so that once our dives are coming to an end, we can surface with less fear of hitting surface traffic. In this way, we are self regulating and ensuring the safety as best we can of this ever popular sport.

   The other result was that we discovered that not only could we hear ambient noise and boat traffic, but we could also communicate from sub to sub while still submerged.

   Although this system is relatively inexpensive to build, the results we are seeing rival many systems far more complex and also offers those with smaller budgets the ability to build these themselves. I do not have 27k to throw at a submarine construction project much less only the communications system on one.

   With the range goal of 500' apart having been met, we only need to ensure that the 500' feet deep portion is satisfied also. Testing in salt water for those who venture into the big blue would be nice also.

   Many people have worked hard as a team to get where we are now and continue to make strides I never thought we could have. We truely have come a long way already.

                                                                                        David Bartsch