From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org [mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org] On Behalf Of Jon Wallace
Sent: Monday, October 26, 2009 1:56 PM
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Prone position tips?

No personal experience here Alec, but I do recall Phil saying that prone was one of the most uncomfortable positions to use.  Sufficient padding should help, but even when I'm lying in bed watching TV on a nice foot thick mattress I often find myself turning from stomach, to side, to stomach, etc, etc, etc.  The only position I can think of that should help (although you may not have the room for it) is to have the torso slightly higher than the thighs and shins.  I think Phil talked about this too, that to be comfortable you have to get the weight off your belly.  So imagine sitting in a chair, and then pivoting face down 90 degrees while maintaining the same position.  Your torso is at one
level, your shins at another.   Obviously you need depth for your thighs
and shins to do this although I'm sure that can be variable.

0---\
        \----

Jon

Smyth, Alec wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Snoopy started a winter rebuild last night and will hopefully emerge
> quite changed, configured for two with one person lying down and the
> other sitting in the tower. But even with a 30 second test lying down
> in the stripped out cabin I can tell the person in the prone position
> will need an advanced degree in yoga and series of painkiller shots.
> Does anyone have some ergonomic lessons learned for prone crew? It may
> be as simple as making a cushion standard equipment, or maybe I could
> try to build a sort of folding table-like device in front of the
> viewport so that a person could rest their chest on it. Since prone
> positions are fairly common, I'm just wondering what folks have found
> works best (or at least hurts less).
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alec
>

> The contents of this e-mail are intended for the named addressee only.
> It contains information that may be confidential. Unless you are the
> named addressee or an authorized designee, you may not copy or use it,
> or disclose it to anyone else. If you received it in error please
> notify us immediately and then destroy it.

The personal submersibles mailing list complies with the US Federal CAN-SPAM Act of 2003.  Your email address appears in our database because either you, or someone you know, requested you receive messages from our organization.

If you want to be removed from this mailing list simply click on the link below or send a blank email message to:

Removal of your email address from this mailing list occurs by an automated process and should be complete within five minutes of our server receiving your request.

PSUBS.ORG
PO Box 53
Weare, NH  03281