Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] elliptical heads

In a message dated 10/24/2009 6:20:59 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, bottomgun@mindspring.com writes:

Vance,

My issue is not that they survived but it is my feeling that there are stability and maneuvering issues.  This is an opinion that I don’t have the time to work out the calculations to support.  Would think that if it was a successful hull form that there would be many more built due to the economy and innate strength of this shape.  The ride on the surface would have to be particularly obnoxious due to pitching and heaving.

R/Jay

Hi Jay. The Boston sub had a few serious issues, as I've heard.
 My take on that is......look at the pictures Jon took, and the quality of the work that went into it. Not so good. Bolts through the windows, bad welds, heavy stuff welded/bolted on top, big tanks (battery pods ? ) underneath that were probably positively buoyant, internal ballast tanks ? and some other stuff that we all know won't work. They spent a ton of money (?) but I don't see evidence they did much research or read the books we have available on the psub site.
I don't think that's a good example of a saucer sub to emulate.
Cousteau's sub, on the other hand, was built by folks who knew what worked and it made many dives.
I don't think the saucer shape is very good at being stable by itself, but by adding structures, weights, tanks, fairings, and the like I think I have overcome the inherent instability issues. Only real sea trials will show if I'm off base.
Better make sure my life insurance is paid up!
I appreciate your thoughts, and don't worry, I've got a thick skin. Any criticism  is welcome.
Frank D.
Frank D.