Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] DeepWorker's scrubbers

Hi Rick,
I havn't quite got my head around what happens with
the life support in an ambient, but will comment in case
no-one else does.
If you scrub out the CO2 in an ambient you take away
a physiological tool that tells your brain theres too much
CO2 & hence not enough O2. With lack of O2 you pass
out with no warning. You also don't have the added safety
feature of a barometer monitering pressure to indicate
a drop in O2 levels. You can't use the bellows add
method of Phil Nuytten wich relies on changes of cabin
pressure to add O2 in an ambient.
Jay commented that O2 monitors don't work well in high
moisture environments wich you get in ambients. ( ie at
100ft you have 4x the moisture as you have 4x the air.)
Then you have to do calculations for your depth re the
PPO2 (partial pressure of O2). You may have enough O2
at depth, but as you approach the surface the O2% can
change dramatically & you can suffer a shallow water black
out.
You'd probably need to read up on rebreathers & diving with
them to perfect the system.
It also depends on how big your cabin is. You might find
that if you have a certain flow of O2 in you'll never run out
for your expected dive duration.
Apparently you're at a greater fire risk with higher levels
of O2 in the cabin. So watch that you're wiring insulation
is not of a material that will combust easily.
There is a discription of how to build a scrubber on the
psub site
http://www.psubs.org/design/
Regards Alan