Sent: Tuesday, October 20, 2009 1:18 PM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Thruster mounts

Hi Rick. The K boat plans call for shaft seals on rotating shafts with handles inside to control thruster angle relative to level and/or direction of rudders.
I prefer to eliminate the rotating shaft and seal idea.
My motor angle and rudder set up will be controlled by electric actuators with just epoxy filled thru-hulls for the electrical connections.
The 4 identical motors each have their own thru-hull with 4 pins sealed in epoxy. 2 pins for the motor and two for the actuator. ( this leaves me with one extra set of pins in case I want to add rear dive planes later.)
The "block V " seals the guys use are well tested and reliable for the shaft penetrators and I'll let them speak about those. I just like to be able to put a valve on all the holes that go through the hull.
Frank D.