Sent: Wednesday, October 21, 2009 10:34 PM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] canopy/bubble forming

Rick: Note that the link was on the blowing of polycarbonates -
Might want to think about the 'cold-flow' characterisrics of PC - that what allows it to 'absorb' incredible levels of point loading that would shatter acrylics like plexi-G - the material attempts to flow away from the impact and dissipates the energy in that fashion. This same ability will cause it to creep easily and deform under a continously applied load such as that induced by external pressure. That's why you don't see Lexan view ports or domes used in a chambers or vessels with significant pressure differentials.