Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Convention Planning

Hi,

I informed Jay of the Sea Hunter offer but decided to hold back on a full announcement until we had more time to work things out. For those of you who missed my previous message about my visit to the Sea Hunter you can find photos of the ship at http://www.psubs.org/projects/1234567801/seahunter/

If Sea Hunter becomes available for our use, we've got an ideal platform for sub diving off the coast of Florida. We could literally load 5-6 submersibles on the deck and then use the crane or A-frame to launch and recover for diving operations. Additionally, Sea Hunter has an ROV on board and hopefully by the time we hold the convention they will also have a working submersible of their own. Perhaps we could get the ROV out with the subs at the same time. That would make for some interesting video.

Given that Sea Hunter utilizes an ROV for their underwater work (and potentially a sub in the near future), I've also extended Brian an offer for him, or Greg, to make a presentation to us regarding the work they do and any experiences they can relate using underwater vehicles as their tools. In terms of getting some press involved it would probably be a good idea to just invite a couple of reporters to join us for a day of diving. That way they could talk to both the Sea Hunter crew and Psubbers right in our own environment. It was great having Matt Richter with us in Vancouver covering the event for the newspaper in Seattle. I'm guessing that Brian and Greg will also learn a lot from having us on-board since there are a lot of talented folks in our group.

I think Jay is correct that we still need to have a Plan-B in case something unforeseen occurs with Sea Hunter, however I really hope we can work out arrangements to have Brian, Greg, and their staff join us this year in Florida with their ship. I'll continue to work with Brian on details and we should probably set a go/no-go date so we know which exact plan we need to move forward with.

Frank D., and others, you are coming up with some great comments and suggestions. Thanks. I like the idea of having more people involved in the organization.

Jon

Jay K. Jeffries wrote:

Brian,

Jon mentioned your gracious offer on behalf of your firm, thank you! /M/V Sea Hunter/ would be the ideal marine base of operations for getting PSUBs wet. As your vessel is not confirmed and as one of the two coordinators for next year’s conference, I need to proceed with a fall back plan just in case your vessel has other commitments when we need to put PSUBs to sea. We have a little over 2 months before a firm plan and budget has to be in place so that members have sufficient time to make their own plans.

R/Jay

/ /

Resepectfully,

Jay K. Jeffries