Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Surplus Thrusters?

Hello Hugh. Good to hear from you again. It was quite a while back when I was contemplating making my own thrusters and the most adaptable ones I had found were the type used in the chemical industry for use as chemical proof couplings driving mixing paddles in holding tanks.
One in particular stands out in my memory.  it was made so one end had a standard mating flange for connection to an electric motor, and there were a couple of different flanges available as options depending on what motor was being used.
The out-put end had a female hex socket for a shaft and as I remember it, a set screw arrangement.
Depending on manufacturer, there were some that could handle large horse power ratings but I discounted those straight off because of cost and/or complexity.
I had also looked into the feasibility of building  a magnetic coupler. The first couplings I mentioned had a fairly complex seal and bearing arrangement to align the coupling halves and keep the corrosive chemicals out of the bearings. My thoughts were that salt water is much less corrosive and the overly complicated parts could be simplified. A little salt water could be acceptable if the bearings were rinsed and oiled after a dive.
I searched for magnet suppliers and found some that were very strong relative to size and came in a variety of shapes. The two that appealed to me most were the pie shaped magnets and the sectional radius ones.
The only drawback there seemed to be sensitivity to high heat and low impact resistance which wouldn't affect our application.
My son-in-law owns a machine shop and was willing to fabricate a housing if I designed one, but alas, the lure of cheap Minnkotas won out.
I was just using a Google image search at the time for magnetic couplings and it seemed like there were a lot out there.
I don't know if I saved any of that info but I'll dig through my old files and see if I printed and saved any of it.
Frank D.