Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Nuytco sub observations

Hi, Jon:
   On the Newtcomms - Vance's response reminded me that some time ago he
did ask about a stripped-down, plain jane version without the power boost
amps. pinger stuff, beacons, etc. and I told him "probably around $10K" and
that's about right, I think, or maybe a few bucks more.
The power boost amps will probably answer your range question: the way we
set this up is to draw the least power for the range you're working in . .
.draws about 75 watts in the lo-power mode and the clear range is about a
half a mile  -  If you switch to hi-power the range goes way up and the draw
is 125 watts - but you can go up to 200w or 300w or more - the range doesn't
increase in an exact linear fashion, but it gets way,way out there! (It is,
however, a power pig at very long ranges)
   The 'Curasub' has the same external 'T' stiffeners as AQ - we use a GRP
'belly-pan' and have had zero problems with the stiffeners fouling - the
skids raise the hull bottom up close to two feet - so the skids would hit
first unless it's a projecting obstruction - and that's one of the the
reasons our crew is very skittish around wreckage or that sort of stuff and
why we like our 'auto-altitude' since it will guage for the highest point -
even if it's a stick! (well, I don't know that we've actually tried it with
a stick, but it's very good) .
Phil
----- Original Message ----- From: "Jon Wallace" <jonw@psubs.org>