RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Easy CAD

Jon,
I have used a freeware/shareware program by the name of EasyCAD (if memory
holds) which will do simple 2-D CAD drawings and read AutoCAD files.  For
your purposes, it is more trouble than it is worth.  A 3-D CAD program,
FreeShip is pretty good freeware but it is no longer supported and has been
eclipsed by its shareware replacement DelftShip.  This program will give you
some naval architecture info and has a rudimentary render engine included.
The downside of DelftShip is that it doesn't necessarily produce fair
surfaces for add on appendages to the main hull.

If you or some family member is taking classes someplace, there is a healthy
student discount for Rhinoceros 3-D CAD that includes the rendering program
Flamingo.  The student package is $495 which gives you everything you should
need to get started and will export or import AutoCAD DWG files along with a
wide selection of 3-D file formats. Joe Perkel, Hugh Fulton, and myself use
Rhino. Both DelftShip and Rhino will allow you to place a raster image in
the background and build a 3-D model from the flat image.

If you go with Rhino, I can then import your file and with a little work,
give you a serious static stability and hydrodynamics report.
R/Jay

Respectfully,
Jay K. Jeffries
Andros Is., Bahamas

Save the whales...collect the whole set.