[PSUBS-MAILIST] 2009 PSUBS Convention - Dive Details

Hi Folks,

Word just in from Jeff Heaton, Nuytco's Submersible Operations Manager and Chief Submersible Pilot.

Dive location:

Center for Aquaculture and Environmental Research (CAER)
4160 Marine Drive
West Vancouver, BC
V7V 1N6

Caution:

CAER is a Federal facility with active fisheries experiments being conducted. No wandering into alternate areas of the facility will be allowed.

Food:

The facility is rather remote therefore it is advisable that individuals bring food and drinks with them. There is no cafeteria on site, and going off site for food will be very time consuming.

Parking:

Finally I would suggest that the amount of vehicles present at the facility be minimized. Funds permitting I would suggest a couple of small mini busses or car-pooling to satisfy your needs. The parking area is not large and is mostly consumed by the research staff.

We can start car pooling arrangements on now on the list group and finalize at the Dive Slot Drawing. I will have my car and can take 4 persons.

Start time:

I would suggest we commence diving around 9:00 AM as we have a busy schedule. I would target 8:30AM to make sure you are there on time.

Friday, October 2, 2009

Clothing:

Bulky clothes do not work. Something which fits closely with the ability to layer as required is suggested. For our purposes/lengths of dives, jeans and a sweater would suffice. No shoes are permitted in either the DeepWorker or Aquarius. Socks are a must, no bare feet. Clean socks are appreciated (especially by the Aquarius pilot and all pilots who follow you in DW).

Weather:

Vancouver weather is completely unpredictable. Expect anything from 25 deg. C (sunglasses and sunscreen) to torrential downpour at 10 deg. C. Something you learn to live with here.

Regards,
Ray