Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Hello; Design; Materials; Thanks

Hi T.C.
Below is a link to a free calculator for underwater pressure vessels.
There is a manual you can download with it. You have to install the sql server
first.
It is easy to use & will give you a good rough idea as to thicknesses of material you need
to get you to certain depths. Also calculates your weight & displacement.
This does not consider internal reinforcements. There is an ABS hull calculator on the psubs site
that does this. However by  differing lengths of the hull & checking the crush depth it becomes obvious
where reinforcement should be. Again this is just a tool to give you a rough idea of where you can go.
http://www.deepsea.com/tools.html
If you went ambient at that size it would take roughly 5000 litres of air to equalize the hull at 33ft.
(a couple of 90 cu ft dive tanks)
With regard to your dimentions, its normal to stick to cylindrical, spherical or conical shapes as they are the
most pressure resistant.
Just about all submersibles are steel. I don't know anything about wood other than that it would be a lot more
unreliable than steel & more difficult to calculate your crush depth.
In general there is a calculated crush depth that in theory the sub should colapse at.
Then there is the test depth at wich it is tested unmanned. Then an operating depth half of the test depth.
I would suggest you read through the free online book "Manned Submersibles" on the Psubs site, it makes
for a great start. Others more experienced might give you better direction.
All the best
Alan