Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Paint on Galv.

Okay, it'll be interesting to see how the newer coatings technologies stack up. I'm not sure if all the isolation will help much on 304, which is good stuff in and of itself. That said, 316 didn't need coatings, so we didn't paint them on the inside (it would have been nearly impossible anyway). All Perry's after PC-9 had separate, bolt on tanks. Previous to that, the outer shell you see in the pictures (PC-3s, PLC-4, PC-4B, PC-5C & PC-9) was welded to the pressure hull and maintained internally through access ports (you can see them on any of the old pics). What they found out was that the extra 50 pounds of the back plate didn't amount to much overall, made fabrication easier, and simplifed maintenance. In other words, we wuz learnin' while we wuz earning', or is that the other way around? I disremember, as Robert Ruark used to say.
Vance

-----Original Message-----
From: ShellyDalg@aol.com
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Sent: Thu, Sep 10, 2009 6:05 pm
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Paint on Galv.

Good advice Vance. I'll print that one to save.
My stainless ballast tanks are isolated from the hull for just that reason. The bolt-on connections will get the nylon grommet treatment, and the air in/out will have a short section of rubber hose isolating the welded thru hull and tank bulkhead fitting.
Because it's 304L stainless, and it's been welded, I'll have to deal with corrosion too. Not as bad as a mild steel tank but it's an issue all the same.
Brent was talking about that Rhino coating stuff used on truck beds so I followed some of the links and a couple of the formulations presented looked promising.
In Seattle it's being used to coat boat hulls. I will try to investigate that a bit when we fly into Seattle going to the convention.
The boats mentioned looked like 40 ft. trawlers which sit docked for long periods of time. The coatings average about 3/16 inch thick and are made specifically for that use.
I'm considering doing my hull with it. It adds sound insulation as well.
Being somewhat rubberized I wonder if it protects against electrical fields too.
I've only seen truck beds in a couple of colors so don't know how many are available.
I wonder how difficult it would be to spray or pour into an enclosed tank.
If I come across any thing new I'll put it out here..
Frank D.