Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Shaft thru-hull with isolation valve

Hi David. Another good video of a psub. I always enjoy them with the sound of the bubbles and the water going over the windows/dome.
On the directionality issue.....
as Jon mentioned, the K boats use a " block V seal " where the shaft exits the pressure hull to rotate the side motors. A hydrophone pick-up could be rotated much the same way. These seals are pretty basic and in use on most of the boats with good success.
    Another method could be to use a linear actuator powered by air, hydraulic, or electrical.
Because the unit isn't large and there's not much resistance, the mechanism could be small, say 1/4 inch.
    My personal preference for thru-hulls is to have a valve on every hole, but it's still possible to have a rotating shaft penetrate the hull AND a valve to isolate the hole should it leak. It would take a little more to fabricate, but the design will allow for complete isolation of that hole if it leaked.
Again, I'm not using this method for my motors/dive planes or my rudders, but I do plan on using it as part of my drop weight assembly as a back-up for the hydraulic release mechanism. It seems like it will be fairly easy to build.
 What I'm proposing is the same basic design with the block V seal, shaft, shoulder, etc. but this assembly will be mounted in a tube section and threaded into a welded thru-hull on the outside of the sub. The interior part of the thru-hull will have a ball valve on it like all my other thru-hulls. To rotate the shaft with the block V seal, a rod with a socket is inserted into the open ball valve and the socket grabs the hex nut welded onto the shaft end. In this way the inserted rod/socket can be pulled out and the ball valve closed if the block V seal assembly were to start leaking because of wear or a collision or what ever.
In my application, I'll be using it to drop the emergency drop weight, as a manual back-up to the hydraulic mechanism. A small hand pump and hydraulic cylinder will be used as the primary means to rotate the drop weight pin or shaft. If the hydraulic mechanism jams or fails for some reason, I will still be able to open the ball valve to expose the pin/shaft holding the drop weight, insert the rod/socket into the valve and turn the pin/shaft manually.
The small "periscope video camera" in my hatch will use the same device but without the hydraulics.
The video camera will be mounted on a rotating plate mounted inside a small chamber with a plexi dome so should remain dry but just in case it gets smashed or leaks, that chamber can be isolated from the cabin with the ball valve.
I've got some preliminary sketches for both these designs but like most things, changes in the actual device will happen when I actually start fabrication. This is one of the few areas where close tolerance machining is required so my son-in-law will be involved in the fabrication. ( he owns a machine shop )
Frank D.