Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Persubs for Everyone / Article

In a message dated 9/7/2009 2:43:06 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, brenthartwig@hotmail.com writes:
Came across a very interesting article that has a picture of the Deep Flight Super Falcon's filiment wound compostite pressure hull, having the hatch area machined.  Below are the parts I found the most interesting.

Hi Brent. Went back and read the whole thing. Another good link and thanks. Pretty cool pictures I hadn't seen before.
The "filament wound" hull is most likely where small subs will go in the future.
Looks like they are using a router to cut out the hatch hole. I expect to see more FRP subs being developed by little guys like us. It just gives more leeway in the shape and contour versus using steel.
I read  a while back where Hawkes was developing a "ceramic" for use on the Challenger sub he built for Fosett. I wonder if that's what they were talking about.
I can't remember who but there was a guy on this list that was building an FRP hulled sub.
The guy making the cast aluminum sub shown on the psub site has made some progress too. Now that's an ambitious guy. It'll be interesting to see how that one turns out.
All the different guys here have their own concept of what their sub means to them. Some just want to cruise around in the lake down the road. Others have a little more complicated purpose for the sub. Yours for wet exit training is pretty unique. Mine for chasing whales and squid, and many more personal reasons. Look what Cliff R. made! Quite remarkable for some guy in his garage.
It's a good time to be alive! I used to kick myself in the ass for not doing this 20 years ago when it first grabbed my imagination but now that I'm actually doing it I'm glad I waited. My knowledge and experience is so much better suited to the task than it was back then. I probably would have ended up making something more like that Chinese guy. I'm having a blast learning, listening, and building my sub with at least SOME hope of having a real boat. Just what it ends up as is still to be seen, but I'm having fun along the way and met some very interesting people too. Granted, there's that percentage of people that think I'm insane, but what the hell. If I made my decisions in life dependant on other's perceptions, I'd live a pretty boring life.
We just need to keep counting our blessings and like I tell my kids " grab onto life hard and HANG ON!!!
If we're doing it right, it's gonna be a wild ride."
Frank D.