RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Finite Element Analysis

Thank you for putting that data together for us Jay.  There is always more to learn.  For me the trick to not going mad stir crazy (if I'm not there already)  is to spend half my available "sub time" researching and designing, and the other half working on some real sub parts and welding practice.  The rest of the time is just stuff you do to get more "sub time".

Regards,

Szybowski

From: bottomgun@mindspring.com
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Finite Element Analysis
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2009 21:34:50 -0400

The recent discussions concerning finite element analysis (FEA) was a reminder that I needed to begin to master this subject at some point for my naval architecture (NA) studies.  I took graduate-level courses in NA and hydrodynamics in college and find that these were just introductory in nature compared to the current studies that I am involved in for NA (do we find ourselves being humbled on a more regular basis as we age or are we just more aware of our deficiencies? J)  The FEA course I took in college was graduate-level also and at a time when FEA was just becoming prevalent (mid-80’s).  Computer programs today make it possible to produce very professional results but as I have found out with my various NA software programs, unless I have a thorough understanding of the program’s underlying principles, I cannot tell if my answers are even in the ballpark, they just look good.

For those that might be interested in learning more on the subject, there is a LINUX-based program FEA and computational fluid dynamics (CFD) that will boot from a DVD (without messing up your Windows op system) that is economical (freeware: http://www.caelinux.com/CMS/) and there is a MIT Open Courseware program that has the notes, exercises, examples, exercises, etc. for their Finite Element Analysis of Solids and Fluids available free on the Internet at  http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Mechanical-Engineering/2-094Spring-2008/CourseHome/index.htm.  The course wares remind me of all of the questions that need to be asked concerning your model, mesh, and analysis method.

R/Jay

Resepectfully,

Jay K. Jeffries

Andros Is., Bahamas