Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] No Machining Hatch Sealing Concept

Hi Brent. Nice drawings.
A couple of thoughts though.
This rendering shows basically a flat gasket trapped between two ridges. It won't operate like an "O" ring. It operates like a flat gasket. It would probably seal at low pressure but loses it's sealing capacity at greater pressures.
If a guy wanted to weld rings instead of cutting grooves ( for an "O" ring ) it seems it would be a lot easier to use square stock. The grooves specified by the Parker "O" ring book call for rounded corners at the bottom. A TIG weld would give you that radius. I considered that option when first building my hatch. I just didn't think it would be nearly as strong as a machined groove. For the $300 cost of the machining versus buying, welding, and other work associated with the welded rings approach, It's pretty cheap for a nice clean means of sealing the hatch.
I don't think the mating surfaces need to be perfect, as the "O" ring will seal up a fairly large crack, and as the pressure increases the crack gets smaller. Eventually the two mating surfaces are touching and the "O" ring is forced into an almost rectangle shape. It still seals.
I think it's pretty well established that an "O" ring is the only way to go, but it's good to keep looking at different ways to skin a cat.
Frank D.