Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] FEA Work on Acrylic CT for KLH-500

Jay,

The input like you and others are giving, is why I post this material to the group. One doesn't need to be a professional FEA analyst to have good input.  This group knows I'm not a professional FEA analyst. They also are well aware by now that they are responsible for there own submarine designs, and what data they choose to use to design there subs. I could choose to only send this material to a select few I know and/or suspect would have good input. But there are many in this group that I don't know at all, and others I do know that have a wide array of back ground experience in so many things, that I don't wish to miss out on there input. Besides it's been said before, why should the select few get all the fun of looking at different proposed designs?....

Just so every one is covered, I'll consider posting at the top of my FEA type postings the below warning

WARNING, Material and ideas contained in this email are for entertainment, and artistic value only.

Do not try this at home with out proper supervision. Producer of material here contained, has been seen with mountain folk with no good reason.

Warning!!!!   Many colours are used in the "art" pictures, that might make you crave a rainbow popsicle.

That said there is a fair bit less stress shown on the outside corners as it is.  The same pressure that is being applied to the exterior surface of the acrylic cylinder is also being applied to the outer surfaces of the plates. This puts a lot more concentrated pressure on the seating area.  I'm running the test over with out adding pressure to the exterior surfaces of the plates to see what that looks like, as well as putting the pressure back on the plates and removing it from the acrylic, also for obtaining the results.

I was restraining the acrylic seating surface from moving in towards the axis, which would not reflect real world actions. I need to change the restraints to allow the part to slide in, and down onto the seal. Also I feel there is more stress on the inside corner then there should be, since the real window would be seated on a elastic surface, thus relieving some of that localized stress.

Regards,
Szybowski

Sent: Sunday, August 30, 2009 7:11 AM
Subject: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] FEA Work on Acrylic CT for KLH-500

Brent,

Thank you for the explanation of your FEA model, it is what I expected but does not deal with the particular issue that I am pointing out.  The blue bands should exist on the cylinder but believe that they may be displaced.  They should be at the very outside corner of the cylinder as this would be were the minimum stress would be located instead of up the cylinder a bit.  I cannot think of any explanation that would have these bands up the cylinder a bit in the real world.  See the exaggerated deformation detail sketch at http://www.flickr.com/photos/bottomgun/.  The other issue that you need to look at is that both metal plates are not seeing the same displacement.  I cannot see how the stress resulting from the end plate compression would result in the blue bands being displaced.

You always need to take the output of any FEA program and do a rational check on it.  If there are abnormalities such as in your recent work, you need to go back and figure out what is wrong with the model.  My story that illustrates this point is several MIT graduate students that I worked with years ago built a flow model of Lynn Bay found north of Boston.  They were trying to determine why a certain species of algae was washing up in only one location on the beach, resulting in a foul smell from its decomposition.  The FEA model had all of the correct seawater movements and bottom contours entered correctly but when the model was run, a water geyser 130 feet appeared in the middle of the bay.  While this would have been a great attraction to the public if real, it did not reflect the actual world.

Today?s programs allow almost anyone to run FEA programs very easily but there has to be some deeper knowledge of the subject by the programmer to get answers that reflect reality.  While your results look very professional, they can be misleading to those that do not know what to question (my knowledge and experience with FEA is rudimentary at best and I find issues).  In the case of submarines if these persons act upon your published FEA solutions, it could be detrimental to their health.  I respect all of the effort and research that you have put into your FEA work but would caution restraint in publishing your results.

R/Jay

Resepectfully,

Jay K. Jeffries

Andros Is., Bahamas