Sent: Thursday, August 27, 2009 4:48 AM
Subject: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Antipodes/XPC15/PC-1501

Hi Cody,  Nice to see ya come in out of the cold. ;}

Your speaking of submerged stability here I figure.  So when submerged your dealing with mostly the hinge weight.  I wouldn't expect that to be to much unless you have one of those 3 ton spring hatches I've seen. ;} But yes if it made you list to one side, you could just shift some weight to the other side some place appropriate. The hinge Greg Cottrell worked up for the Great White K-250 out of mostly plastic is nice and light.

I've put together a very small and light hinge means that uses the ball joints you see on the gas struts on car hatches, S101 and the Deepworker hatches. I'll also be using the full gas struts to lift my hatch like the deep worker hatches are from the inside. I've also seen them used on the exterior or the sub.

Then I'll have a little spring system, that allows for the hatch to move down on the hinge side as the hydrostatic pressure increases. This will make my hatch hinge nice and quite when I open it. No clanking for me.

Regards,

Szybowski