RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] initial test results

Jens,

  This system is based upon a "bender" hydrophone. This is simply a piezo element that is secured to a flat surface and isolated from the water to prevent short circuits. It produced minute electrical signals when exited by sound waves traveling in the water. These small electrical signals (AC) are the amplified by electronic means up to a level we can hear and interpret.
  In short, it listens to and amplifies raw acoustic sound.
  This collision avoidance sonar is basically the listen or receive half of an underwater broadband communications console. It contains only one amplification channel and although it can transmit provided a broadband voice transmitter (an underwater speaker) is available, this would require changing the input and output devices attached to the unit.
  We are in the process of determining how well this hydrophone and device will be able to pick up on the noises produced by boat traffic as these move thru the water. By detecting this boat traffic and surfacing or maneuvering according to this information we hope to provide the submarine operator a tool that when used properly should aid in the avoidance of collisions with surface craft or other submarines.
  Another use for this simple tool is to allow for the listening to and enjoyment of the many noises made from aquatic wildlife.
  I hope this has answered your questions. Ask more should you have any.

                                                                                                       David Bartsch