[PSUBS-MAILIST] Vancouver Convention

Hello everyone.

We have secured conference room facilities at the Vancouver Maritime Museum for Saturday, Oct 3, 2009. This is the current home of the "Ben Franklin" submarine used for Gulf Stream research in 1969. We will be in the TeeKay room and I expect we'll be starting at 8am sharp and going for most of the day.

To cover costs, I have set this years attendance rates (registration fee) at $30 for members and $40 for non-members. This includes:

1) Meet & Greet at the Creekside Restaurant and Lounge (in the lounge), Quality Inn at False Creek. Wednesday, Sept 30, 2009 Most of us will be coming quite a distance so it will be nice to sit back after a long day of traveling, chew on some appetizers, toast a few glasses, and exchange travel horror stories...I mean...catch up with each other again and meet new people. I'm thinking 4-7pm or even 5-8pm, but am flexible on the times. PSUBS will pick up the cost for appetizers. Drinks will have to be paid individually.

2) Speakers and Presentations at Vancouver Maritime Museum. Saturday, Oct 3, 2009 This covers the cost of the room rental plus coffee, soda, water, cups, chips, etc, etc. Each person is responsible for the cost of their own lunch. For those who wish to participate in the traditional "Sub" sandwich for lunch, we will order from Quiznos the night before and have them deliver direct to the museum. We require your food choice (be specific with the various condiments you want) and payment by Friday, Oct 2, at 5pm, at the latest. PSUBS will provide water, soda, napkins, plates, etc. If you are not in the mood for anything on the Quiznos menu, you will have between 45-60 minutes to go out for lunch at some other location before we return to the presentations.

I will have online registration and a printable form for those who want to pay by check or money-order, written up and available by the end of the weekend. Please do not hesitate to sign up as soon as possible. Don't forget to make your lodging arrangements.

OTHER CONVENTION DETAILS - NOT INCLUDED IN REGISTRATION FEE

A) Transportation.
Everyone is responsible for their own transportation. If you need transportation, the best thing to do is make a statement as such on the mailing list so we know about you and can attempt to coordinate rides to/from events. If you intend to have a vehicle in Vancouver and are willing to transport others, please let us know so we can keep track of both available seats and those needing rides. I only know of two people so far who would enjoy hitching a ride with someone else. I think we can handle that with known existing cars that will be available. If necessary, Steve McQueen and I have offered to go in on renting a seven passenger van but it would be nice to split that cost even further if anyone else wants to join in.

B) Tour of Nuytco Research Ltd.  Thursday (time to be determined)
There is no charge for this tour and we thank Phil Nuytten and his staff for sharing their valuable time with us. Ray and Phil are working out these details and we should know what time to be there, soon. The "Sea-Bus" that Phil Nuytten referred to in an early post costs $9 per person and operates every 15 minutes during the day and every 30 minutes during the evening. Sounds like it might be more fun than driving in traffic around the city and something we can look into further and talk about at the Meet & Greet Wednesday evening.

C) Submersible Diving with Nuytco Research Ltd.
Ray, Dave Walls, and Phil Nuytten met today to talk about plans for this event. We should have information soon. There will be costs involved for a crane, barge (possibly), and other equipment necessary to carry out this dive event. These costs will be priced and collected separately, and as I'm sure you can understand, non-refundable. Stay tuned for more details.

D) Ad-hoc group meetings (aka Rum Tasting).
Yo-ho-ho, a sub, and a bottle of rum (or something like that). These "meetings" typically take place in the evening and are moderated by Jay Jeffries. They are very casual, much like the "meet & greet", and a good place to talk about sub related concepts, projects, and plans with other psubbers. By the end of the evening, discussions tend to resemble "The Four Yorkshiremen" ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MtKNLfhT6M or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo ) to outside observers. Specific times and room location will be forthcoming.

E) Traditional post-presentation Dinner. Saturday evening (6pm or 7pm?) Oct 3, 2009 While we certainly may have other dinner outings during our time in Vancouver, the Post-Presentation dinner is traditional and we hope you will join us. After a long day of SUB-talk, we all head to good restaurant for food and fun. This will likely be our last time all together in Vancouver since some folks will be leaving Sunday morning to head back home. The exact restaurant will be decided when we arrive in Vancouver and scout out some good candidates. If anyone knows of a good restaurant that has a large menu selection and can handle the size of our group, please let Ray or I know as soon as possible. If all else fails, we will have dinner back at the Creekside Restaurant at the Quality Inn Hotel. Each individual is responsible for the cost of their own dinner, however we will likely need to make reservations so I will need to know if you intend to join us.

As usual, keep checking the website for updated info and of course we will notify this list as well.
Jon