Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] 2010 PSUBS Convention

Hi Frank, that's good news! I started last year with the idea of building a semi-dry sub, but living on a boat
sans garage, and no lathe or welder I decided on an ROV. I'm almost finished with the project and will
post pics in the near future. It is definitely an observation class rov with low light B/W video cam and
light array. Total build cost was around $ 300. It is limited to a 60' depth but I'm already planning the
next design evolution, to include a line cutter and greater depth capability.
The earlier threads regarding safety is an important consideration. An ROV can be sent down to a
snagged sub  to help the sub crew work out a solution to a problem, or armed
with a line cutter can help free a sub. Unlike a diver, it has no bottom time limit, decomp
problems,and it doesn't get cold or hungry. Dive sites can be reconnoitered for u/w hazards or
obstructions before a sub or diver enters the water. ROVs and submersibles have been
working together in the offshore gas/oil industry and in scientific research for many years
with great success. Again,thanks for including the armchair (wannabe) sub pilots; )
Regards, Carlos