RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Vent valves

Thanks Guys.  Brent,  those are nice drawings.  It wasn’t that design I was looking for as your one has the cylinder mounted on the side and wouldn’t work for me.  The one that I saw was with a Bimba cylinder mounted in the center and was all self contained.  Very simple etc.  It might have been a Frank one but it was about the same time you posted those.   The Vent valves on the Comsub have been removed and ½” diaphragm solenoid valves have been retro-added.  I’m not too keen on them as diaphragms have a habbit of splitting.  Only two of the four work and the MBT’s are 14” diameter cylinders with no access to the inside.     Frank, did you do some sketches of some valves way back.  They were the sort of “Frank-practical-approach” designs.  Chs Hugh

From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org [mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org] On Behalf Of Brent Hartwig
Sent: 08 August 2009 20:13
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Vent valves

Hello Hugh,

Vance, Jay, and Frank all have designs in mind, that I'm aware of.  The design restraints on the shape of the MBT's and the heads where the highest point of the MBT's is on my sub, required me to work up a custom assembly this last winter.  This basic configuration could also be used in larger flat topped soft ballast tanks. The main turned parts are UHMW plastic or the like. Since you won't have corrosion issues with it, it's easy to machine, and less expensive or heavy as 316 SS. You could even use acrylic or polycarbonate if you so wished.  I've made notes as to up grades I plan to make for my pair of Mushroom vents, that I've not applied to the CAD models as of yet. A couple of them are to install the hinge parts on the main assembly that is mounted to the FRP MBT shell, and change out the SS parts that attach to the plunger and seating ring to UHMW, including the hinge.

Here was the last plunger and seating ring sealing configuration I had worked up.

And here are the other renderings and drawings regarding my K-250's mushroom vents.

Regards

BH