Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Drop weight

Hi guys.
Work on the sub progresses. I started yesterday on my drop weight carriage. I HAD gone off on a tangent a while back and redesigned the legs/drop weight style but decided to go with my original design. I don't have the ability to get pictures up just now, but here's a description......
I'm taking the 24 inch round disk that came from cutting the hatch ring in, and adding four steel caster wheels to it. It has a 1 inch hole in the center and its curvature matches exactly the bottom of my sub and the two holes line up perfectly. This is where the "drop pin"  assemble will go.
Next, I'll build a wedge shaped shroud that surrounds the caster disk, with the triangular points carrying the lead weights. The whole assembly with the disk, wheels, shroud, and lead weights is attached to the sub with the center pin. I'll have little brackets that attach the shroud to the hull with bolts, ( for transport ) and these bolts will be removed when I launch, with the brackets holding the disk/shroud assemble in position but loose enough so it can't jam up. The whole wheel-carriage/drop-weight assembly is shallow ( about 6 inches tall at the bottom ) with pointed ends so it maximizes hydrodynamics, and the wheels are two 5 inch steel casters, one on each side, and two 4 inch casters, one at each point front and rear. The larger wheels on the sides will allow me to balance the sub on them with the front and back wheels just clearing the ground, making spinning the sub easy. Kind of like how one of those Home Depot flat carts balances so it can rock forward or back a little bit and spin when the cart balances on just the middle wheels.
It'll be nice to get the sub off it's wooden cradle, because it's getting pretty damn heavy to move around.
With the dome shape ( rather than the K boat tube shape ) I am not able to just roll it up for easy access to the underside for welding/fabrication and have been jacking it up and down in it's wooden cradle for access to the lower hull. That's getting pretty old!  Anyway, back to work.....See ya, Frank D.