RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] towed antenna

Not much to see yet- some pallets of steel, a big roll of glass and a few gallons of epoxy resin but I’ll keep you posted.

From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org [mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org] On Behalf Of vbra676539@aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, August 05, 2009 12:27 PM
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] towed antenna

New sub? Come on, Greg, let's see it.
Vance

-----Original Message-----
From: Greg Cottrell <greg@precisionplastics.com>
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Sent: Wed, Aug 5, 2009 11:04 am

I’ve read a lot of good ideas here. It’s great to have this kind of forum. Back when I built my sub (early 90s) all I had was Busby’s book and the=2 0PVHO. Looking back, I would say that the ideas of mine that turned to be, shall we say, “less than useful”, were all of the ones that were “over thought”!  But it is still fun to brainstorm and be creative.

As far as the PVHO goes though, I can’t stress enough that it should be the basis for every design. Just in the area of acrylic fabrication, it still amazes me just how thorough their investigation into the properties of acrylic was. As an acrylic fabricator, I don’t think of that work so much as “rules” but as “discoveries” about the material and how to shape and contain it in ways that allow it to withstand tremendous loads. It’s like the alphabet- there is no limit to the great literary works that can be created using the alphabet and there never will be. This is also true of basic pressure vessel design. The fun is in the combination.

I’m currently building a new sub. I think I’ll visit the discussion more often in search of new ideas.

Thanks,

Greg C