RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] escape from sub

Forgot to add that it is a Steinke hood (not Heinke, they were named after the sub officer that came up with the concept) and while these would be great for escape they probably are not practical for most PSUBS as you not only have to inflate the collar but the attached hood before flooding down the sub.  There is a LOT of buoyancy with these and you are going to be pinned in the sub by this force.

R/Jay

From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org [mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org] On Behalf Of Hugh Fulton
Sent: Saturday, August 01, 2009 5:29 PM
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] escape from sub

I’ve just studied all that document about Heinke hoods etc and immersion suits and calculated the time to flood my sub with a 2” valve but had to have a bit of a think about bubble lines and blowing etc.  A bit depressing.  Thought I might start designing an aeroplane instead.  One thing though Frank, I think we need to be friendly to all those ROV operators who could guide an anchor within grabbing reach!!   The other thing which is interesting is that they appear to only flood the compartment to about 80% ( Bubble line ) then appear to equalize with Air pressure or is that wrong.  They have a Blow term and a vent valve for equalization of the last part.  How about something from one of you chaps who have actually done the escape!  Chs, Hugh