Sent: Monday, July 13, 2009 10:34 AM
Subject: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] escape from sub

Hi Frank,

I just remembered that the account Kittredge gave in his book of him exiting a sub off Hawaii in about 128 feet of water, with no decompression stops and him not mentioning breaking his ear drums and being fully functional after he surfaced going so fast he breached the water up to his knees.  He then proceeded to tell the crew of that sub that they could also do an escape at depth, but at a lesser depth.  If he had broken his ear drums I would think he would not be staying around to manage all but a few of the crew to do escape training.  You can compress up at a pretty good rate while controlling the water flow valve and keep clearing your ears with out braking your ear drums according to the hyperbarisist and diving instructors I've spoken with, and still not absorb to much nitrogen for a free accent from some depths.

One of the mixed gases I was told would be better to breath while your compressing up and ascending. I'll have to find where I put that data.

Regards,

Szybowski