Sent: Tuesday, July 28, 2009 8:39 PM
Subject: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] collision avoidance sonar pics

Alan,

  What I found so funny when I first started working at the Postal Service was just how far some of these people would go so as not to seem ignorant about anything...
  Being new at the job and unfamiliar with the various terms and phrases, I asked a seasoned employee what "TARE" weight meant as I had seen this term on the side of various shipping containers. His reply was "if too much mail was placed within the container beyond this recommended weight number, the container would tare open!"
  For those of you who are unfamiliar with this term as I was, TARE weight is the weight of the container void of any contents. Once weighed, one simply subtracts this tare weight from the total weight to derive at the weight of the contents. (A useful tidbit if using a postal scale to measure the amount of water within a given container)

  As to the dirrectionality of the broadband underwater communications systems, these are omni-dirrectional and should be able to pick up incomming transmissions from any dirrection as well. Thus far, Dean has talked to and from two seperate stations from over 300 feet but the maximum range one can communicate with this type of system has yet to be established.
  As per earlier discussions, background ambient noise will reduce the overall effective range one can both talk and recieve this type of voice transmission. The louder this background noise, the shorter the range. For lake submarine operations with low to medium suface traffic, it is hoped that this simple form of communications will prove adequate for most submarines.

                                                                                                     David Bartsch