Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Comsub in New Zealand

Hi Hugh. Your sub sounds like a lot of fun, even before you get it wet! ( don't mind me, I just like fixing things.) 6 tons is heavy, but not so heavy you can't get it on a trailer, but you'll need a good 4 wheel drive truck to get it up a boat ramp. I'd love to see some pictures of it. Jon will give you a space on psubs for pictures ( I need one too ) but you need to pay the 35$ membership fee.
I really like your original design, with the sideways tank, big windows, and cool fairings. That looked to me to be very innovative and has some nice advantages in comfort and visibility.
    A float type device with pontoons for getting the boat out of the water would need to be pretty substantial. Lifting 6 tons would require some pretty large pontoons, and a strong structure. Almost like a big barge.
    My sub at just over 3 tons will fit on a trailer, but again, I'll need a big truck to haul it up the boat ramp.
I designed the front so towing at relatively high speeds won't be a problem, but it will take a pretty big boat to tow it. I was thinking a regular size pontoon boat would be a good " surface support" boat, with a nice big deck, room for a generator, charger, compressor, and a small cabin or canopy for the crew to get in out of the sun. Oh! and room for a cooler of cold beer!
    I'm looking forward to seeing some pictures. Good luck with the re-fit. Frank D.