From: brenthartwig@hotmail.com
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] My Test of the Rattleguard Brand of Urethane Coatings
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 18:18:09 -0700

I needed to make several chemical resistant computer cases for a dental office, and decided it was a good project to test a slow curing version of a Rhino type coating.  I would use the darker grey they have or black if I need to make any more, since the one that sat in the window for several months started to have a yellow tint to it. I've sense seen that on other brands as well, with there lighter colors.

If you order from them, make sure you have them ship the cans in there own boxes, of which are then placed in a thick cardboard box with the packing peanuts.  Mine got shipped with the cans loose in peanuts, in a thin cardboard box, and I'm lucky they didn't break open during shipment.  This stuff will cook your brain cells, so have the proper breathing apparatus on.

This product can be sprayed, rolled, or brushed on. I had to do all three on these plywood cases.  I wasn't needing a thick coating so to get the coating in tight corners I brushed it on.  I've sprayed this stuff with a texture hopper gun, and a pneumatic automotive sprayer with the coating thinned down.

It takes about 24 hours for the product to tack out in warm dry temperatures, which has it's advantages, with the extra open time you have with it.  It then will take a good number of weeks to cure off enough to where it's not off gassing any more.

I played with a number of different gun settings and amounts of thinner for different textures, of which you will see in the pictures.

Because of the slow cure time with this product, you don't need the wire tape for edges where want the coating to stop. Just use the standard green automotive tape, and remove it right after spraying, and the edges will blend.

If you whined up with some extra material at the end have some old tools you want the handles dipped, or other items cleaned and ready to coat.

  http://cid-5085d10eb6afe47c.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/Rattleguard%20Urethane%20Coatings

I just looked on line and don't see there web site up, and they are not on eBay either. So it looks like we'll need other options.  I've seen the Raptor brand installed in a local auto body shop, and it looks like a very good coating. Last I knew it was more expensive then what the Rattleguard brand was.

http://www.u-pol.com/countries/en/downloads/tds/raptor%20black.pdf

There is also the Xtreme Liner brand that advertises it to be good for marine applications.

http://www.xtremeliners.com/marine.html

Regards,

Szybowski