[PSUBS-MAILIST] Flowserve Pleuger Azimuthing Thrusters

In looking at how I wish to configure my side thrusters, I'm considering tilting my trusters towards the point of the bow when horizontal 3 to 7 degrees.  This is to negate the friction or thrust attachment as the outflow of the thrusters hit the hull.   A principle they refered to as the gonda (SP) effect.  I don't have the correct spelling, so my searches have not come up with any relevant data. Perhaps one of you gentlemen know.

After looking at the below data I would be interesting in your guys input.

Flowserve Data

Pleuger Type WFSD Azimuthing Thrusters

http://thruster.flowserve.com

The usefull thrust of a thruster, can be adversely affected by thruster hull, and thruster thruster interaction loses.

They use a 7 degree tilted axes to there thrusters to reduce thruster loses by up to 15 to 25% due to friction or thrust attachment.  A principle refered to as the gonda (SP) effect.

Even when mounted at a mid point of the longnitudinal portion of a ship thruster loses can be 10 to 15%.

Flowserve uses a 97 degree bevel gear that creates there 7 degree tilted axes thruster angle. This eliminates thrust attachment and associated losses.

The 7 degree tilted axes thrusters signifiagantly reduce conditions for adverse inflow conditions when dealing with thrusters pointing toward thrusters."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzjFEe47bzA

Regards,

Szybowski