From: ShellyDalg@aol.com
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 10:55:59 -0400
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Recycling Lead
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org

Hi Brent. I wonder how useful that "plasti-dip" stuff would be on a saltwater boat. I may give it a try. As for lead versus steel, well, one of the great things about lead is it's so easy to melt and pour into specific shapes. My lead ballast will be poured into "bricks" that fit the curvature of the bottom of the hull. With nuts embedded in them so I can bolt them down. The drop weight lead will be poured into a steel "keel" with the drop socket mechanism also embedded in the lead. Remember that we need an extra drop weight just in case we have to drop one, and then use the spare to retrieve the first one. That adds up to a lot of lead!
Frank D.