From: Jumachine@comcast.net
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Over Pressure Valve Options
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 07:32:15 -0400

Brent,

Does your sub have the snorkel on it?  Most K subs built by Kittredge did.

When I surface I open the valve to the snorkel and equalize the pressure.  It's almost always negative in the sub because of the temperature difference of the air I left the surface with and the internal temp of what I'm returning with.  When I dive in New York States Finger lakes, the water temp isn't much over forty degrees all year around.  At the end of a summer time dive in there, I vent to equalize and have to swallow to clear my ears because they pop so much when I surface and vent.  It's difficult to open the hatch if I don't first vent.

If you were positive pressurized from a problem, your snorkel should release it.  The barometer is a good idea but you shouldn't need any extra piping if you have the snorkel.

Dan H.