RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Recycling Lead

That California lead deal is enviro's run amuck,  if they could regulate water vapor they would.

Brian
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org [mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org]On Behalf Of Brent Hartwig
Sent: Tuesday, June 23, 2009 5:53 PM
To: PSUBSorg
Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Recycling Lead

Hello Frank,

Some of my friends and I have are local tire retailers, and wrecking yards save the old wheel weights they remove and melt them down for anchors, muzzle loader balls, and canon balls. The lead alloy is harder then lead by it's self since they add things like antimony and tin to it. Put for are purposes, that shouldn't be an issue. Some call it Antimonial Lead. We obtain most are wheel weights for free, but some times have to pay some thing like .07 cents a pound. Of course you still have to melt it down and remove the steel tabs.

http://www.lead-battery-recycling.com/Other-Lead-Scrap.html

It looks like they are phasing out lead wheel weights in California.

http://www.takepart.com/blog/2008/08/21/lead-wheel-weights-to-be-phased-out-in-california-by-end-of-2009/

I had saved a few old batteries to melt down the lead plates for muzzle loading, but also noticed that there wasn't much to the old plates, and didn't see it as being worth all the trouble and toxic fumes.

It's all in the pursuit of a even keel. As for me if I was on a even keel, then I wouldn't have a chance of having the boat all to myself. ;}'

Regards,
Szybowski