[PSUBS-MAILIST] Git Kraken Riding High

Hi Les,

In regards to subs sitting higher in the water, four examples come to mind; the Hypersub, the SubCat S-30 tourist subs, Uboat Worx subs, and Simon Lake's Argonaut II configuration.  I'm not sure if th
e new boat type fairings on the Argonaut II were just for being more sea worthy on the surface or if they also lift the subs main hull up some as well. Raised decks appear to be installed according the the information below.   Perhaps Jay might know.

"Lake completed Argonaut I in 1897 and after a series of local trials, he began using the boat to salvage sunken cargoes in the Chesapeake Bay. Then in 1898, he took the boat into the open ocean, first for a limited excursion off Cape Henry, Virginia, and then for a longer cruise in which he sailed from Norfolk to Sandy Hook, New Jersey. Lake traveled largely on the surface but submerged regularly to investigate promising wrecks along the way, and when a serious storm blew up, he rode it out safely on the bottom. This feat appears to have been the first substantial ocean-going voyage by a submersible craft, and it earned Lake a telegram of congratulations from none other than Jules Verne himself.
Because its open-ocean voyage showed that Argonaut I needed to be more seaworthy, Lake had the vessel rebuilt the following year in Brooklyn, New York, largely by lengthening the boat to 56 feet and adding a flooding, schooner-like superstructure for better surface performance. The resulting submersible was dubbed New Argonaut, or Argonaut II"

http://www.navy.mil/navydata/cno/n87/usw/issue_16/simonlake.html

   "December 1898, Simon brought his little Argonaut to New York to be enlarged and re-outfitted with a variety of improvements including greater buoyancy, deck space, fuel capacity, a 60 HP engine and living quarters for a crew of eight. A searchlight was added in the bow to light up the fore-coming pathway, and telephones were installed throughout, so that conversation could be conducted between the divers and their tenders, with crew members stationed at different parts of the boat, with the surface or with the shore.

   Reconstructed by July 1900, the Argonaut II was 66 feet in length and capable of making a non-stop sea voyage of 3000 miles, and submerging for 48 hours. The new Argonaut looked quite different than the original one with the new raised deck that made the vessel appear more like a surface boat than a submarine."
http://www.simonlake.com/html/argonauts.html

www.hyper-sub.com

Also notice they have changed the bow configuration of the hypersub and added some tubes to the sides of the amas for some reason. They remind me of the PVC capped tubes Karl installed on C-BUG for a short time until one imploded at depth and scared the L out of him.

http://www.subcat-fuerteventura.com/

http://www.subcatantigua.com/about.htm

http://www.janes.com/articles/Janes-Underwater-Security-Systems-and-Technology/Subcat-Spain.html

Regards,