[PSUBS-MAILIST] secret tech tip

Jon,

  Once I developed a hydrophone that has proven almost too sensitive for us to use, it became clear that I had to carefully isolate it from the hull of the boat on which it was to be mounted. If this were not done adequately, any movement of the submarine operators would surely be manifested in the passive sonars amplifier electronics as excessive interference noise.

  Take the time to go to: www.anver.com and make selection #3 "SUCTION CUPS", then select #3 on the next page "SINGLE BELLOWS SUCTION CUPS". Page down until part number B1.5-78-NBR shows then select it.

  This simple rubber suction cup sells for $13.16 each (minimum order of #39.00) and are ideal for my purpose.
Come to find out, the newest hydrophone housing fits perfectly within this cup with an adequate centered hole for our interface cable to pass thru.

   Using a conduit clamp on the back protruding rubber tube, I am easily able to completely isolate this hydrophone outer housing from anything submarine. The interface cable hole is slightly larger than this cable so any increase in outside pressure just bleeds thru this opening and into this bellows area.

                                                                                                    David Bartsch