RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Hot Dip Galvanizing a Steel Sub Hull

As I understand it, Plating used to be copper plate onto the steel first for substrate and adhesion,  then nickel,  Then Chrome if for decorative.

Nowadays many things are just electroless nickel plated straight on when done in a tank.  Electroless nickel will get into holes and internal bores where it is difficult for conventional plating to reach.  Also you tend not to get the edge build up associated with conventional plating.

For the window seats and hatch seats there is an on site rotating nickel application that uses a sponge with electrolyte pumped through it wiping over the surface and hooked up to Electricity supply.  They use this for building up shafts etc.  You don’t have to take the whole thing to the platers.  Usually you can find a couple of applicator companies in every city or industrial town.  Any more info gratefully received.  Hugh

From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org [mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org] On Behalf Of Brian Cox
Sent: 03 June 2009 09:18
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Hot Dip Galvanizing a Steel Sub Hull

You might want to find a better plating outfit to do the plating.  Decorative plating is most likely not done with the care that something which is going to be in a marine environment.  Could be that there was a poor contact with the electrical connection or possibly the initial cleaning of the part was not thorough enough.  It's a very complex process.

Brian