RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Building a Personal Submersible

Hi Jon,
Over the last 18 months I have been capturing what I considered to be the "pearls before the swine" and it runs into about 30 odd pages.  I can send it offline for your perusal, if you wish, with a view to placing it somewhere.  I did mention it earlier on but there were no takers.  Up to you.  Hugh

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org [mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org] On Behalf Of Jon Wallace
Sent: 01 June 2009 17:55
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Building a Personal Submersible

Well, therein lies the problem.  I suppose there is some obvious gruff
that could come out, but it wouldn't take long to get into an area that
one person would say "dump it" and another would say "no, that's
important info I can use".  I think the email archives serve their
intended purpose which is to document the activity of the mailing list.
At this point, trying to go through them to even get rid of just the
obvious junk would be a major undertaking.  I think a better plan is to
let the mailing list archives continue as is, and come up with white
papers, FAQ's, and other similar things (wiki perhaps) that would
highlight the technical information that can get lost in the mailing
list archives.  Alan Clifford is already working on redoing the FAQ
page, so that's a start.

A critical part of this being successful though is having someone say,
"Hey, capture that and categorize it".  Alan James is probably correct
that the water vapor information should be captured into a white paper,
but frankly I didn't even think of that when I was writing that email.
We probably tend to think "in the moment" for the issue that is before
us, and not long term that the same information will be useful to
someone else 5 years from now.  Like anything else you search for on the
web, when you have to be fairly specific in the search words that you
use to search the email archives.  Anyway, one way to start isolating
information is to use the specific email forums targeted to certain
discussions.  Since the rule is that "small talk" is not allowed in
those forums, searches would be easier and more meaningful there.

There's a lot of information that comes through here.  I don't think
there's any one easy solution to getting at specific information.  In my
mind, the design tools page is where we should concentrate building our
information base.  Resources & Reference -> Design & Fabrication ->
Design Tools  or http://www.psubs.org/design

Since everything on that page is not a "tool" we can change the name,
but the layout allows categories and sub-categories.

Jon

vbra676539@aol.com wrote:
> Maybe Jon could ruminate on this some and figure a way to categorize
> useful stuff. But then, who chooses what?
> Vance

our server receiving your request.

PSUBS.ORG
PO Box 53