Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Precision prop shaft

Oooohhh!!! That's a big one. Those are for big reservoirs (relatively speaking) in active systems. We did NOT have overpressure on our shaft seals, just as a point of interest. The inner seal remains at zero pressure relative and skies up with seapressure when and if the outer seal fails. We used those high priced 16-spring Cranes and I never ever ever saw one fail. It's a heck of a seal.
Vance

-----Original Message-----
From: Hugh Fulton <hc.fulton@gmail.com>
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Sent: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 12:58 am
Subject: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Precision prop shaft

Ther e are two options with the double seal.  If you are using just bellows equalizing then the inboard seal is best to be mechanical and the outboard seal just a Vee seal. This is a minimum length solution.
The 2nd option is to have two mechanical seals back to back with oil between.  The oil pressure should be positive above the sea pressure by about 10-15 psi.  Check www.DOERmarine.com under products – hydraulics-DOER compensator.  They have about 1 gallon reservoir that they use for this and other purposes that has a spring assist to provide the 10-15 psi  above ambient. As Vance says you can then monitor the 10-15 psi and if there is a leak then the pressure drops off but then the inner seal should hold til you  repair the leak.  Caution on using two mechanical seals without positive pressure and also the type of seal as to which way the pressure should and could act.  Hugh