Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] 2009 PSUBS Convention - Update 26 May 2009

Ray,

I am planning on attending. Depending upon the cost and time, I am interested in diving as well.

1) Crane operator and diving.
How many subs are available for diving? What hours are the subs available? How many minutes dive time for each sub? What is the turn around time from when the sub surfaces to when the next person can dive? Does the crane have to pull the sub out of the water or is there a dock the subs can use so occupants can debark/embark? I think you should answer all these questions so you know how many "diving slots" are available, first. We're going to want to make sure people know exactly what to expect as far as dive time and cost. Once you know the number of diving slots, you should set a deadline for people to sign up for a dive slot and collection of money. At $150/hour, PSUBS will not be able to absorb the cost of the crane so it will have to be split by the number of people who want to dive. The money will have to be collected up front and be non-refundable. The sign-up deadline will need to be scheduled so that you have plenty of time to notify the crane operator of our exact needs and work out any kinks that might show up. Also, if the dive-slots are limited, PSUBS members should have first choice at a slot which means you'll need two deadlines, one for PSUBS members, and after that the slots are open to anyone.

The crane operator's request for lunch is unusual and not acceptable unless you can confirm we are getting some special rate for the use of the crane. Will he be satisfied with a tuna sandwich, or is he looking for a three course meal? Unless I'm missing something, we're hiring the crane operator to provide a service and as such, they are responsible for their own lunch. The last time I hired heavy equipment, I didn't have to feed the operator.

2) Ferry costs.
You should decide if having Jacques Marc is going to be an interesting speaker for the group. This may depend upon the topic he will present and who else you might be able to get for speakers. If you think his topic is relevant and would be interesting to the group, pay the ferry cost. Otherwise, simply tell him we can't do it and let him decide if he still wants to talk to us or not.

3) Hotel.
Select a hotel closest to most of the activities. It's going to be easier to travel north to Nuytco once, then south to all the other activities multiple times. Depending upon who has vehicles, transportation to various sites could get ugly. Make it as simple as possible giving coordination of transportation priority.

4) Food and Conference room.
The conference room cost has to be absorbed by everyone. Food, at least preliminarily, needs to be absorbed by the individual. Don't include food costs except for water, soda, coffee during presentations on Sat Oct 3. We can always change this later if we get enough sponsors.

I think we should start working to get as much of this on the website as possible.

Jon